Saturday, March 10, 2012

So Much Time, So Little To Do...


My baby is with her grandparents today and staying until tomorrow. I know they are having so much fun, but boy am I a bit lost without her! I needed a project. 

I have been promising my friend Amy some cupcakes for a month now. I remembered that I had some extra ones in the freezer as well as a significant amount of leftover frosting from the baby shower cupcakes, so I decided to break them out and play. 

A while back I read a tutorial by Kate on Our Best Bites demonstrating how to swirl different colors of icing together. I have been dying to give it a shot. It is super fun and I am hooked! Her technique makes swirling colors SO much easier than trying to maneuver two different colors of icing into one pastry bag. Plus, it was less mess than the traditional method. 


Amy loves pink. My bridesmaids wore lime green, strapless, knee-length dresses and carried pink hydrangeas so I decided to go with that color combination. Red and green are complementary colors so they, and any other shades in their families, pair well with one another. Aren't they fun?!

Because Our Best Bites explains the process of swirling colored icing so perfectly, I didn't attempt to break it down on my own. But I will tell you, all you need is three pastry bags, a large coupler*, a large tip of your choice and two different colored icings. If you are feeling really ambitious, Kate says you can do three or even four colors. To check out their great tutorial, click here. Stay a bit and peruse their site. It's one of my favorites!


What to do next? I see Oreo Stuffed Brownies in my future....

*If you don't have a large coupler, I bet you could get away with the tip technique I mentioned in my last post. 

Pin It!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

They look so pretty! Love the colors :)

Mrs. Mac said...

Thank you!