Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Cookies and Cream Cupcakes



I think I have mentioned before that I am not a huge cupcake fan. I will eat them, but usually not a whole one. It's mostly for taste testing and it is very rare that I don't have to find someone to finish off the rest of that "test" cupcake for me. (Mr and Baby Mac come in very handy in that respect.)

I am more of an ice cream girl. And then there's my fondness for Oreos.

Which is why....

THIS CUPCAKE BLOWS ALL OTHERS OUT OF THE WATER.
 

This is a devil's food cupcake with an Oreo in the bottom, topped with a decadent cream cheese icing mixed with crushed Oreos. Then, a mini Oreo to finish it off. If you like Cookies and Cream ice cream, you will flip for these.


Thank goodness I was making these for my friend Amy's birthday and my brother's graduation or I would have eaten 10 of them. By myself. In one sitting.


Cookies and Cream Cupcakes

 Cake Ingredients: 
1 Devil's Food boxed cake mix, prepared to a batter
3/4 cups mini chocolate chips
24 Oreos

Frosting Ingredients: (Recipe from Glorious Treats)*
2 blocks (8 oz) cream cheese, softened at room temperature
2 cups (4 sticks) butter
1/2 tsp salt (if using unsalted butter)
8 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract (pure is best)
4-6 tablespoons heavy cream, half and half or milk (I use milk)
Crushed Oreos (I crushed the remaining regular sized Oreos in the package after the 24 were used for the cupcakes.)
24 Oreo Minis

Directions:

-Prepare cake mix and stir in chocolate chips. Line 2 cupcake pans with liners and place one Oreo in the bottom of each. Fill each cup with batter to 2/3 full. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely.

-Using an electric mixer, cream butter and cream cheese on medium speed until smooth. Add salt, if needed. 

-Two cups at a time, add the powdered sugar beating after each addition. Add vanilla and beat to combine. If icing gets to thick to mix, add one tablespoon at a time of the milk until it is smooth again. On the other hand, if the icing is too thin, add a half cup powdered sugar at a time until it reaches the right consistency. Your icing should not fall off the beater right away when lifted out of the bowl. You want a consistency that will not move once it is piped onto the cupcakes.

-Once the icing is the right consistency, beat on medium speed for one minute until fluffy. Mix in crushed Oreos.

-Pipe or spread icing onto the cupcakes and top each one with an Oreo Mini.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*This amount of icing was enough for the 24 cupcakes with some icing left over. If you spread the icing onto the cupcakes rather than piping it you will need less so half of this recipe will do just fine.

Pin It!

2 comments:

CraftyJAR said...

These look so good! I will have to give it a try.
Judy

Mrs. Mac said...

Thanks, Judy! They were pretty tasty!

Love your blog. Incredibly creative and fun!