Friday, May 11, 2012

Something Blue...


I was bestowed the glorious honor of making a wedding cake and cupcakes for my friend Tracy. I was thrilled when she asked and my head was swimming with ideas.

She and Jody met at a University of Kentucky basketball game in New York. They are both from Kentucky. It makes for such a sweet "how they met" story being that they first laid eyes on each other in a whole other state.

For that reason, the bride wanted to go with a blue themed cake and cupcakes. My mind immediately went back to the gorgeous blue ombre petal cake made by The Hungry Housewife. Her tutorial was the one I used for my brother's birthday cake last month. Can I say again how FABULOUS she is? (I was singing the word "fabulous" right then just to emphasize the magnitude of her fabulousness.)


The technique is not hard, it just takes some time and patience. Making and tinting the different shades of icing took the most time. The decorating itself didn't take as long, but I was careful to take my time and not get ahead of myself. Once I got into a grove, it flowed pretty smoothly.


Though this technique has been around for a while, Leslie's tutorial made it doable for me. (Thank you, Leslie! I would have never tried this technique if it weren't for you!)


The bride also wanted blue cupcakes with white sugar pearls. I took the extra step and added some gum paste flowers.


The cake and icing are almond flavored. I used LorAnn Baking Emulsion for this. Emulsions work great because they don't bake off like regular flavorings tend to do. The flavoring is more concentrated. I found this flavor and some others at Hobby Lobby.


Congratulations, Tracy and Jody! I am so happy for you! You have such a wonderful and exciting road ahead of you!


Pin It!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely lovely!!

Leslie said...

It turned out soooooo beautiful!!!! I am sure your friend was so very pleased. And thanks for all the wonderful kind words about me! You made my day!!!!

TracyMorgan said...

The cake and cupcakes were such a hit! The almond was just perfect and we found ourselves having to hide a cupcake or two because family was trying to sneak them the day after. Plus the fact that they came from a friend made them even more special. Thank you so much!!!

Mrs. Mac said...

Thanks so much, everyone!

Tracy, I was so honored to make them. I am so happy everyone liked them! And I am so happy for you and Jody. You make such a fabulous couple!