Friday, June 15, 2012

Minnie Mouse, Take Two


My friend Karen's daughter, Kylee, is turning two tomorrow. We were pregnant at the same time and she delivered her a week before Baby Mac.  She asked if I would make some Minnie Mouse cupcakes for her special day and of course I said yes!


The last time I made Minnie Mouse cupcakes I used Oreos. This time I decided to work on my fondant skills. 


I piped on some pink buttercream and added some pink sugar. I made marshmallow fondant and cut circles out for the ears and fashioned bows from strips I cut from some fondant I tinted pink.


I was so happy with how they turned out! But the icing on the cake, or should I say cupcake, was Mr. Mac's reaction. See, he is a man of very little words. Usually when I show him my creations I get a head nod and a "That's cool, Babe." Which is great. I know in Mr. Mac terms that means he likes them and he is proud of me. But, when I opened the box to show him these, his eyes got big and he said, "Wow, those are awesome!" That let me know that I am getting better at my craft and that I made something extra special. My day was made. Heck, my week was made!


Happy Birthday, Kylee! I hope you have the best birthday ever!


Pin It!

4 comments:

Megan said...

Hi,
I was just wondering, did you use sanding sugar as the decoration on these cupcakes?
Thanks,
Megan

Mrs. Mac said...

HI, Megan! I don't think this was sanding sugar. It was more of a sugar sprinkle. I think sanding sugar is a bit finer. Thanks for stopping by!!

Unknown said...

What did you use to cut the ears for that exact size. Great work.

Mrs. Mac said...

Thanks Wonda! I used a Wilton circle cookie cutter. These specifically:

http://www.amazon.com/Pcs-Round-Cookie-Cutters-Plain/dp/B00994S0AA/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1364915067&sr=8-12&keywords=wilton+round+cookie+cutters

Thanks for visiting!