Monday, April 30, 2012

Orange Creamsicle Cake

  

There were many occupational hazards during this photo shoot.

Lots of orange juice along with excess frosting and crumbs that had to be removed from the plate. And the clean cut on the edge of that slice of cake? It didn't happen by accident. I cleaned up the edge with that fork, and then cleaned off the fork with my mouth. Hey, I had a camera in one hand and an excited toddler pulling on the other. I had to think quick on my feet. All in all, I think I consumed about 400 calories just trying to get the shots to my liking. It's a tough, tasty job. 

My brother Patrick had requested a while back that I make an orange creamsicle cake while he was in town. One of his friends made it some years back and he's had it on his mind since. I had never heard of it so I used my best friend Google to see what I could find. 

I found tons of versions and while they differed from recipe to recipe the premise was pretty much the same: pouring liquid orange gelatin over a baked cake then frosting it with a mixture of whipped topping, vanilla pudding and another box of orange jello. 

Some recipes used yellow cake, some used orange. One recipe used cream cheese while most did not. Almost all of the recipes called for the cake to be baked in sheet form. 

I didn't really follow one single recipe. I took elements from every version I came across and went for it.

Also, I am a layer cake kind of girl these days so I went that route. I used one orange boxed cake mix and divided it evenly between three 8 inch pans. I left the cake in the pans to cool and divided the liquid jello between them.

This cake truly tastes like an orange creamsicle. My husband took a bite and said, "Wow, it tastes just like a Flintstones Push Pop!" (Remember those? I love the way he thinks.)




Orange Creamsicle Cake 

1 (18 oz) box orange cake mix, prepared 
1 (3.5 oz) box orange gelatin*
1/2 cup boiling water*
1/2 cup cold water*

Frosting
8 oz cream cheese, softened**
1 (3.5 oz) box instant vanilla pudding
1 (3.5 oz) orange gelatin
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
8 oz tub whipped topping, thawed

-Poke holes in the prepared cake. (If you are making a layer cake, leave the layers in the pans for this step.) Stir boiling water into gelatin and mix until dissolved. Add cold water and stir to incorporate. Pour liquid gelatin evenly over cake. Refrigerate for at least an hour.

-Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add gelatin mix, pudding mix, milk and vanilla and mix well. Fold in whipped topping. Spread onto cake and chill until ready to serve. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I noticed later that every single recipe called for a 6 oz box of gelatin in this step. A 6 oz box would in fact make for a more flavorful and moist cake. If you use that size, maybe up each of the waters to 3/4 cup.

**Most recipes did not call for cream cheese. I am a cream cheese lover but if you are not a fan it is more than fine to leave it out.

Pin It!

6 comments:

Patrick said...

delicious! and your pictures turned out great!

Phyllis said...

It. Looks great. How many calories is a slice?

Mrs. Mac said...

Phyllis, I am not sure. This recipe is all over the internet. I bet you could find a version that has nutritional information. Thanks for visiting!

Unknown said...

Hi, in you recipe it says 1 (18oz) orange cake box prepare. do you mean bake already?
Thank you
Candy

Mrs. Mac said...

Hi, Candy!

Yes, already baked. I used round pans but you can use a 9 x 13 even easier. Good luck!

Mrs. Mac said...

Hi, Candy!

Yes, already baked. I used round pans but you can use a 9 x 13 even easier. Good luck!