Saturday, April 14, 2012

Monster Brownies


I had all these plans of grandeur for the weekend. They mostly included getting organized and caught up on some chores, but there were a few baking experiments sprinkled in there, too. I got off work at noon yesterday so I had a big head start. The result was going to be a feeling of great accomplishment and preparedness for the week ahead as I tucked myself into bed Sunday night. Ah, the feeling of a weekend full of productivity!

I kissed all of that goodbye about 1:00 yesterday. After I picked up Baby Mac from the sitter, I started feeling pretty crappy. Headache, congestion...you know, all that crazy fun stuff us moms just long for on our days off! I napped while she napped, then put Caillou on repeat once she woke up and settled myself onto the couch. Afternoon wasted. 

Mr. Mac got home and took care of her while I napped some more. I was in bed by 8:30. "OK, now an evening wasted as well, but I will feel better tomorrow for sure!" I thought to myself as I downed some Alka Seltzer cold plus, which usually cures EVERYTHING. Oh, how naive I can be. 

So longer story even longer, today I am still feeling like bubble gum on the bottom of someone's shoe and I am moving in slow motion. If I get laundry done it will be a miracle. 

Until I can get to those "baking experiments" here are some brownies!


There are these things called "Slutty Brownies" making their rounds on Pinterest lately. Supposedly, they are called "Slutty" because they are "easy and a little bit dirty." They consist of three layers: cookie dough,  Oreos and brownie batter. Since I made the Oreo Stuffed Brownies a while back, I decided to go with my favorite candy bar for the middle layer.

Also, since I am not a fan of food names that consist of sexual connotations (big pet peeve) I decided to call these "Monster Brownies." Have you seen Monster Cookies? Kind of the same thought process. 

First, I pressed a roll of refrigerated cookie dough (I let it soften a bit by sitting it on my counter for about an hour) into a 9 x 13 greased pan. 


I chopped two bags of Snickers Minis in half. (I found them on clearance after Easter. Bonus!)


Let's just take a moment to soak all of that in...


I could have stopped right there with a big ole glass of milk, my couch and one of my favorite TV shows. But I thought of you guys and plowed on. The sacrifices we make...


I layered in the chopped Snickers.....


...and followed those by a prepared brownie mix. Then, into the oven. 


These are TOTALLY delicious, but I had some issues.

The recipes I found for the Slutty Brownies all said to bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes. I baked these for an hour and the brownie part still did not get done to my liking.  I didn't realize this until they were cooled which is too late to pop them back into the oven.

The edges were great about two inches into the middle, but from there the brownie part was still too batter-ish for me. Some people I talked to said they are fans of brownie batter but if you are like me and want yours completely baked, you might want to reduce the heat in your oven to 325 and bake them for an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and a half. OR, cut the recipe in half and still use a 9 x 13 pan so that the layers are thinner and bake up better.

Regardless, these were some killer brownies. And you could use just about anything for that middle layer. I even considered Nutter Butters at one point. I bet those would be fantastic!

Let me know what versions you try!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There's a new feature here at To Bake or Not to Bake! 


Want to be updated by email each time there is a new post? Enter your email address at the "Follow by Email" prompt under the cupcake at the top left. After you complete the letter verification on the next screen, you will receive a confirmation email. Click on the link in that email and you're set! Now, every time I publish a new post you will get an email notification!


If you have any questions, feel free to email me at the address in my profile. 

Pin It!

2 comments:

Jessica Beard said...

These look awesome! Got the email by the way!

Anonymous said...

I felt sort of naughty/slutty just looking at them.