Friday, March 29, 2013

Rose Easter Cake


Easter candy, you are killing me. 

This time of year is always tough. Right as I decide I am going to get in shape for summer, BAM! I forget about the 5 boxes of Girl Scout Cookies I ordered and they show up on a day when I could eat every single one in a sitting. Then, just as I get those out of the picture I am inundated with all that delicious and tempting Eater candy. (I think I had more  fun shopping for Easter Bunny candy for Mini Mac than I did shopping for Christmas. That aisle is so much fun.)

Oh, and did I mention that ALL of the above takes place during Lent? Yeah. Pretty dang tough for this gal. I had to quit giving up sweets for Lent because I failed miserably EVERY year.

I made this cake for my friend Sherry for Easter. Her in laws are coming into town and she wanted something special for their visit. They are not big chocolate fans so she decided on strawberry. I make a mean strawberry cake. My secret? Just a boxed mix, but in place of the water I use pureed strawberries. It makes SUCH a difference. 


I have had this rose pattern on my to-do list for a while now. I thought it would be perfect for an delicate Easter cake. Yes, the large rose to the left screams "Look at me! I want all the attention!" But I think it's pretty for my first try. Check out the tutorial I found at I Am Baker.


And then since it's Easter, I nestled a few Cadbury Mini Eggs in the center. These are the perfect candy for Easter baked goods.


Aren't they adorable?

One last tip that I must share. I was on a discussion board at Wilton.com one day and the topic was how to get a moist cake. One of the commenters shared that her grandmother ALWAYS put any cake she made in the freezer for at least 24 hours and then thawed it prior to decorating. She claims that her cakes were always so super moist and comparable to bakery cakes. Once my layers were cooled, I wrapped them twice in plastic wrap, tied each one up in a plastic bag and tucked them into my freezer. I laid them out to thaw the night before I was set to decorate. They appeared super moist to me, but I can't wait to hear the reviews from Sherry.


A very Happy Easter to you and yours!

Pin It!

5 comments:

Abby M said...

Mary Michael I had never heard the freezer thing either, but my secretary's husband was in my office the other day and he used to be a baker for Caramanda's. He said the freezer is a baker's secret! Freezing makes it more moist :) Who knew?? Guess that's why my 1 year old anniversary wedding cake was SO delicious still, right?? haha!

Mrs. Mac said...

Oh wow!! Awesome to know! And ya know, I never thought about that in regards to wedding cake, but you are right. It was SO good the next year! That has to be why. Thanks for visiting my little ol' blog!

vindiebaby said...

This is definitely the most adorable cake I've ever seen :)

www.vindiebaby.com
Vintage Inspired Girls

Mrs. Mac said...

Thank you so much!

Eric Grinnell said...

I can't believe those AMAZING icing roses you made. That's the most beautiful thing in food I ever saw. I bet you could do "The Last Supper" in fondant.