Friday, June 22, 2012

Happy Birthday, Mini Mac!



Well, I can't very well call her "Baby Mac" anymore now that she is 2. I thought "Mini Mac" would be a good replacement.

My BABY is 2! What? How did that happen? Before I had her I often heard people say, "I can't believe my little one is already [insert age here]!" I would think, "Yeah, well kids grow up, what did you expect?" But I get it now. Time flies SO much. It seriously feels like it was only 6 months ago that I was in the hospital giving birth to that 9 pound baby. I swear, she came out looking like she was a month old.

I have mentioned before that she adores Caillou. I was so excited when I came across an edible sugar image in a birthday catalog I got in the mail. I hate junk mail but I am a sucker for any catalog or circular that sells fun stuff. And my curiosity paid off! The image is super cute and so easy to use!

I mixed up a Funfetti batter and divided it between three 8 inch cake pans. I had some Oreos on hand (I am as shocked as you are that they have made it this long without meeting their demise) so I crushed them up, mixed them with some buttercream and used it as a sort of filling. I piped a dam...


...and spread in the filling. It looks kind of funny because I used my off-set spatula to spread the dam into the filling to make up for some holes.


...put on a crumb coat...


...and tinted some icing. Caillou is drawn in primary colors so I decided to use red, blue and yellow for the accents. 


After I smoothed on the top coat of icing, I peeled the image off its backing and gently laid it on the cake. It reminded me of an iron-on transfer. Remember those? I had to be very gentle when peeling it off the paper, but it was simple to do. I will definitely be using these in the future. I can't wait to see what types of images are out there!


I piped dots all over the cake. I like the simplicity of the dots. I considered using a star tip but it just didn't seem to fit Caillou's personality. I think he would approve of the dots.






I can't wait for her to see this cake. I know she is going to flip!

Happy Birthday to the best thing that has ever happened to me. Words cannot express how completely blessed your daddy and I feel to have been chosen as your parents. You have defined love for us and it's greater than we could ever imagine. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you SO much to my aunt Joanna for the beautiful cake stand! I did not have one and she thought of me at an antique store one day. I feel so fancy not having to put Mini Mac's cake on a plastic cake carrier!! I love you so much Joanna and I will think of you every time I use it! Which will be A LOT!!

Pin It!

4 comments:

rebecca said...

Love the cake! I know she will too!!!

Lisa Knight said...

Great Job MM. That cake is adorable!

Anonymous said...

Omg. I've got tears in my eyes. the cake is awesome and Mini Mac is too.
GB

Mrs. Mac said...

Thank you!!