Friday, January 27, 2012

Johnny's Cake

Johnny's birthday was in November and I made his cake. The picture is not great  (bad lighting and focusing) but  I just wanted to post one of my first endeavors. Keep in mind, I am new to all of this!

I dare you to look at those sprinkles and frown. Can't be done.
There are some techniques I have been practicing with. First, I love the clean look of a nice, flat, level cake (like the professionals do) so I leveled off the roundness of each layer making it  more flat. Makes it easier to ice, too. This picture makes it look more round than it is, plus, I need to get a cake leveler instead of eyeballing it. I can draw a straight line all day without a ruler but when it comes to 3D straightness, I am no good.

Second, when I heard about crumb coating I wondered why I had not done it all these years. There is nothing quite like trying to put white buttercream icing on a decadent chocolate cake, only to have big black crumbs (or chunks if the cake is extra moist) muck up your icing. Crumb coating is the process of putting a thin first layer of icing on a cake (and then often time refrigerating it) before you put on the final layer. That first layer locks in the crumbs and keeps them in their place.

I have seen several fabulous rainbow cakes all over Pinterest* and I have been dying to experiment. I didn't want to be too ambitious so I only did one colored layer for this cake.


I just went with blue since we are UK fans and well, he's a boy. Duh.

I am anxious to try out some piping since I just got my bag and tips, so that will be my next project. I am watching plenty of instructional videos on You Tube (how handy is the internet?) and I can't wait to put what I am learning into action.

I finished the S'mores Pops and have lots of pictures. That will be my next post. See you then!

*If you don't know Pinterest you need to check it out. Ask anyone who is on it. They will tell you that it's super fun and totally addictive. You have to be invited to join, so shoot me an email if you have questions or want an invite.
Pin It!

2 comments:

cakedecorator said...

That looks like a great effort! and chocolate too! A cake leveler would definately help you to get those lovely straight lines. There are a lot on the market and if you do get into making lots of cakes, it's worth investing in a professional cake leveler such as the Agaby. We have used the wilton and other brand levelers and have found the blades flex a bit, so you don't get straight cuts. Take a look at the agbay cake leveler

Mrs. Mac said...

Thank you so much! I'll look into that!