Thursday, April 26, 2012

It's a Girl! (Gluten-Free Cupcakes)


I am an aunt! Baby Mac has a cousin! 


My sister rocked at child birth. She and her husband were absolutely beaming! They will be fabulous parents to Elizabeth Ruth! I am going to squeeze that baby like mad when I get my hands on her. (I didn't get to hold Elizabeth yesterday so when I get to her, it's on!)

Babies are just about the greatest thing on earth, aren't they? I mean, the fact that a woman can grow a human IN HER BELLY, and then the love that radiates from all around when that little person enters this world, is just phenomenal. Nothing compares to it. 

I made some cupcakes to take to the hospital for the parents to have on hand in case my sister is like I was after childbirth and  in desperate need of something sweet. My brother-in-law has Celiac Disease so I used a gluten free recipe I have had in my arsenal for quite some time but had yet to try. I found the recipe on the fun site With Sprinkles on Top  but it originated at Chocolate and Carrots

Gluten-free recipes use gluten-free flour. Gluten is what makes baked goods, well, good. So needless to say, my sister has a hard time finding recipes that work in this area because she says the GF flour makes for a very dense and tasteless end result. 


This recipe remedies that. And you would not believe how: black beans. Yep. I said black beans. Instead of flour, they are pureed and mixed in with the rest of the ingredients. You would never know! The chocolate pairs very well with them and takes over in the taste department. And somehow, I don't know the science behind it, they fill in perfectly for the flour. (I am guessing they make up for the lacking protein due to the missing flour.) They make for a moist and flavorful cake.


Baby Mac and Mr. Mac tried them sans icing and they were none the wiser. 


I topped these with a swirl of chocolate and pink buttercream icing. 


Chocolate Gluten-Free Cupcakes

1 can (15.5 oz) reduced-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
4 eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, or coconut oil
3/4 cup sugar
5 Tablespoons special dark cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a 12-cup muffin pan.
2. Blend the beans, 2 eggs, vanilla, and sugar in a food processor (or blender) until completely blended.
3. In a small bowl combine the cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda.
4. In a large bowl, beat the butter until fluffy. Add the remaining two eggs and beat well after each. Beat in the bean mixture. Beat in the dry ingredients.
5. Pour the batter into muffin cups. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 

My sister said that these cupcakes are much better than their regular gluten-free counterparts. "Richer and moist" and "You can't even tell there is anything but sweet stuff in there!" And her husband said he "LOVED" them.
If you or someone you know has a gluten allergy, you MUST try these cupcakes! You will make their day!
Pin It!

No comments: