Monday, April 23, 2012

Treat Yo Self to a Petal Cake


My brother Patrick is coming into town! I can't wait to see him. He lives in Aspen, Colorado and makes it in to see us about twice a year. He is so witty and entertaining. As soon as Baby Mac sees him she starts giggling because she knows there is fun to be had.

Today is his birthday! While Baby Mac and I were at my parents' house this weekend, I made a special cake that will be waiting on him when he gets into town tomorrow. Isn't it fun?! You are not going to believe how simple this petal technique is!

One of my MOST favorite food bloggers, The Hungry Housewife, posted a tutorial on this petal technique a few weeks ago and I have been dying to try it. (By the way, check her out. She is super fun and oh so clever. And her video tutorial kicks the butt of the one I am doing here.) Her cake was done in a blue ombre fashion and turned out GORGEOUS. I am hoping to make that version for a friend of mine in a couple weeks, so I was thrilled to get to practice on my brother's cake.

Here's how it's done. First, crumb coat your cake.


Normally with a crumb coat you just put a thin layer all over the cake not worrying if it doesn't look "finished." And typically with a petal cake, you continue the pattern all over the top of the cake which hides the crumb coat. But because I wanted to write on this cake, I took time with the top of it making sure it was smooth and presentable. If you are going to cover the top of your cake with petals, you don't have to worry about the first coat of icing looking pretty.

Next, using a #12 piping tip, pipe a line of vertical dots about the size of a quarter.


With a small offset spatula, or the back of a spoon (which is what I used), press into the right side of the dots and drag sideways. 


Pipe another row of dots, drag them, and repeat all the way around the cake.


Until you end up with this!


To finish the cake, pipe one last row of dots and just don't drag them. This is the back of the cake and will not be very noticeable. 

For the top, just pipe and drag the dots in a circle. You can see more detail of this on The Hungry Housewife's cake. Again, because I wanted to write on this cake, I just did one circle of dots on the top.

And because my brother and I are huge fans of Parks and Recreation (Ron Swanson is our hero) I did this:


A couple of the characters on the show have an annual "Treat Yo Self Day." Do "yo self" a favor. Click on this link. You will laugh. And who couldn't use a good Monday laugh?


Happy Birthday to my sweet, sweet brother! We can't wait to see you!

Pin It!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

You cake turned out BEAUTIFULLY PERFECT!!!!! Thanks for the love!

Unknown said...

I'm jealous he gets to eat that! Sounds like he deserves it though. Happy Birthday to him!